Flashing An iPhone
Flashing an iPhone is basically resetting the operating system currently installed on your iPhone by uninstalling the current firmware and installing a fresher or a new one. iPhone users might get different reasons to flash their device. Their phone might be working slowly, there could be a virus infecting the performance, the device gets locked or simply the user needs to switch to the new updated look on their phone.
How to Flash
The guide will take you step by step on how to flash your iPhone without losing any data in a secure way.
There are two ways the flashing procedure can be carried out on an iPhone.
- Through DFU Recovery Mode
- Through a Flash Tool (The easy way)
Note: It is important to backup your data before carrying out the above procedures in case of any loss. Also, avoid using your device while your system gets flashed to avoid data loss.
- Firstly you need to connect your iPhone to a pc by using a suitable data cable.
- Next, you need to make sure your device is turned off.
For iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 5c,6 and 6s users
- You need to hold the power button for approximately 3 seconds.
- Hold the home button while still holding the power button for another 10 seconds.
- Release the power button but keep holding the home button.
- Keep holding until you see an alert on your iTunes screen about the device being detected for recovery.
For iPhone 8 and X users
- Hold the power button for about 3 seconds.
- Hold the VOLUME DOWN key while still holding the power button for 10 seconds.
- Release the power button but keep holding the VOLUME DOWN button.
- Hold until device recovery mode detection alert is shown on your screen.
After successfully entering into DFU mode, press the “Restore iPhone” button on the screen.
The system will uninstall the current firmware and install a fresh copy or an updated one on your device.
You can also use tools such as 3uTools that can easily help you in upgrading or flashing your iPhone firmware.
- Firstly, download the 3uTools software from www.3u.com.
- After installing the 3uTools, connect your iPhone to the PC using a suitable data cable.
- After the device is recognized by 3uTools, select the Flash and Jailbreak section.
- Click on ‘Easy Flash’.
- Next, you can choose to retain your data or do a clean reset of your device.
- Select the latest iOS version of your device and click ‘Flash’.
- The software will download and install the latest iOS version on your iPhone.